Minute impurities – major effects
Reliable lubrication of moving components or assemblies is also required in food processing technology. However, consumers should not be confronted with lubricant residues in foods. Therefore, even minute impurities of a few ppm (parts per million) are sufficient to shut down the entire production or stop the delivery of goods.
An example calculation shows: Just a millilitre of a lubricant which is not approved is sufficient to ban a production batch of 2000 packaging units of 500 each from the shop shelves.
Manufacturers of foodstuffs bear the responsibility
Lubricants are also indispensible in the production of foods. A competent lubricant supplier must therefore be familiar not only with the operating resources of the foodstuff producer but also with the hygiene requirements. Ultimately everyone involved in this production chain is responsible for the purity:
- producers of foodstuffs
- manufacturers of special lubricants for food processing technology
- manufacturers of machines for food processing technology
- further processing of foodstuffs
The framework for the use of lubricants in food processing technology is provided by a whole row and laws and standards. Some of the most important laws / standards:
- Directive (EC) No. 852/2004 defines the HACCP-Konzept (HACCP Concept) and prescribes its implementation.
- Positive list of ingredients of lubricants approved for use in food processing 21 CFR 178.3570
- National Sanitary Foundation with the registration in the following categories:
- NSF H1: lubricants where product contact cannot be excluded technically
- NSF H2: lubricants where product contact can be excluded technically
- NSF A1: cleaners for field of foodstuffs
- NSF K1 and K3: Intensive cleaner and adhesive remover for use in the food processing industry
Technical requirements for lubricants in food processing technology
Additional requirements for food processing lubricants are derived from the above-mentioned laws and regulations:
- physiologically harmless
- resistance against special disinfectants and cleaning agents
In the case of industrial lubricants there are hardly any limitations in the selection of raw materials. In foodstuff lubricants, however, many raw materials are not approved in the field of additives. Tailored products are therefore available for very special applications in particular in the case of requirements regarding high-pressure properties and corrosion protection.
With OKS speciality lubricants you're on the safe side
OKS uses the American laws and regulations that are recognized worldwide for its products for use in food processing. By using OKS speciality lubricants for food processing technology, you as a manufacturer ensure compliance with national and international regulations.
Our Technischer Service (Technical Service) will be pleased to advise you in selecting OKS lubricants suitable for your purposes.
We would be pleased to meet you during the Anuga FoodTec Fair, Hall 4.2 Stand B031.
Standards concerning the use of lubricants in food processing technology